Recently, I was sent the following link:
http://www.themaneater.com/stories/2009/2/16/put-down-your-beer-and-volunteer/
After reading this intriguing article, I couldn't help but chuckle. I wasn't chuckling at the fact of what was written per say (although I did like the Gamma Kung Fu name), I was more entertained on the thought of how sorority women would react.
Now before I begin this blog, I want to be clear; I believe in the fraternal movement. I believe in what fraternities and sororities stand for and their founding principles. I also believe that this blog's title, "Purpose Driven Reflection" should live up to its title. To drive a sense of reflection into the students and professionals who read this in a purposeful way. I can't promise that you will agree with what I write, but as long as you reflect on what is written, the blog will be fulfilling its purpose.
Back to the article at hand and why I laughed at the thought of how sorority women would react. Plain and simple, Greek men and women have lost their ability to articulate their purpose. I can say this because when articles such as this are written, Greeks lose sight of what has been written. Members become fixated on the negative and immediately proclaim, "this guy is an ass," "he doesn't understand," "screw him," and "lets write a counter statement detailing the facts...that will show him." This is just the Greeks reaction when something is written.
Had this writer confronted a Greek face to face with his points, I'd assume Greeks would react in one of the following ways.
a) Say "fuck you" and attempt to beat him up
b) Become defensive in an verbally aggressive manner...spouting off meaningless facts and notions.
c) Say, "you don't get it" or "you're just a GDI" and make dirty faces towards the writer.
If you are a Greek undergraduate member reading this, are you nodding your head right now saying, "yeah, we'd definitely do one of those three?" If so, I'd challenge you to read on. I will get back to those reactions in a little bit.
For now lets reflect on the key points the editor proclaims and what I think he is saying in a nutshell...
1. Cutesy moronic manner needs to go
- My summary...live your values. While the writer's approach may be a bit harsh, the main point he is trying to make is that if you preach sisterhood and values, how does getting drunk in your letters and posting those pictures on Facebook instill those values? In an odd way, he is attempting to protect you by proclaiming that if you don't drink, you may avoid sexual assaults, broken hearts, etc.
2. Your all about keg stands and beer pong tournaments
- My summary...practice what you preach. If your new member process is about the proper technique of keg stands and beer pong tournaments, then I hope you have a desire to be off-campus. However, if your new member education process is about the values and purpose of your organization...practice what you preach. If one of your values are service, then get out and do service. If one of your values is scholarship, pride yourself in doing well academically. Finally, if one of your values is friendship, then appreciate the time you have together in a respectful and desirable manner. The writer is simply asking you to hold yourself to a higher standard; not because he wants it but because you promised it when you took that oath to become a fraternity/sorority member.
3. You're idiots who don't know how to read
- My summary...speak intelligently and present yourself with class. If you don't like being labled a "gossip girl" or "cosmo queen" then make sure you are watching what you say and read in public. That doesn't mean you can't read a Cosmo magazine or watch Gossip Girl but don't justify this writer's thoughts by reading a Cosmo and then gossiping about what sister slept with what fraternity member in a public area such as Starbucks.
4. Your sluts who only talk about fraternity members private parts
- My summary...respect what you stand for both as an individual and as part of a larger organization. I love what the editor states in his summary. He is advocating for you to be a respected woman who other women would kill to be. How can you argue with what he is saying? If you say, ''well, I don't talk about fraternity members private parts or discuss the hottest boys" then I'd clap my hands for you but then I'd ask, but do you know one of your members that does? If you are being real with me, you'd list off 1-20 of your sisters that do make those comments.
This leads me back to the title of this blog, "articulating our fraternal arguments.'' As undergraduate fraternity members, we have lost the ability to debate with someone like this maneater writer. Here is why...
1. Instead of acknowledging what he stated and agreeing with some of his notions, we attempt to beat him up because our words are lost.
2. Instead of clarifying his statements in a polite and non-confrontational manner, we resort to aggressive tactics and meaningless statistics. When someone asks about fraternity/sorority statistics, Greek members resort to the ole' USA Presidents/CEO statistics. Who cares how many United States Presidents or CEO's are fraternity/sorority members? I mean really, how often do those individuals discuss their Greek experience within their position? Where did you even get those statistics? How valid are they? Until you can articulate the purpose behind those statistics...refrain from stating such worthless knowledge.
3. Instead of saying, "thanks for holding my organization and myself accountable." we resort to demeaning the person and calling them names such as dick and GDI. Why can't we acknowledge that we aren't perfect, that we have imperfect members, and that we have work to do? Is it so scary to admit that we as Greeks have weaknesses?
Ladies and gentlemen, we DO have work to do. Both as individuals and as professionals. We must learn to articulate our purpose and our rebuttal arguments. We must refrain from using meaningless facts and find a way to showcase our Ritual on a daily basis so that articles such as this maneater article become non-existent.
No comments:
Post a Comment