Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Fraternity/Sorority Consultants: Tips to Not Sucking at Your Job

It’s the beginning of June and many Inter/National Headquarters have hired their National Consultants (or ELCs, CDCs, Life Savers, Crazies, insert whatever you call them) for the year. For many of these organizations, they have hired the best of the best. These consultants are the cream of the crop for their respective organization. They are young, vibrant, and ready to make a difference!

This is great and nobody appreciates what consultants do more than I do because I was one myself. I traveled for two years in my little pick-up truck all over the country. I opened chapters and I closed chapters. I saw groups thrive while others crumbled. I met amazing alumni but I also met some terrible alumni. I was inspired by some Greek Advisors while turned off by others. I learned about myself and learned more about my organization than I could have asked for in two years. Overall, it was the best experience I could have asked for as a recent graduate.

With that being said, I feel it’s only necessary to pass along a few pointers as you begin your travels in a few months specific to meeting with Greek Advisors. I am now a Greek Advisor and have met some amazing consultants and some really terrible consultants. So I figured, why not try to help you before you get on the road and meet with us. Take it or leave it...

Tip #1: Be Professional

What does being professional mean? It means setting up a meeting with the Greek Advisor before you get on campus. It means being on time to your meeting with the Greek Advisor. It means having an agenda. It means remembering we are professionals, not your drinking buddy. It means making eye contact. It means sitting up straight. It means shaking hands (some of you may need training on the proper way to do this). It means being engaged in the conversation. It means saying “thank you.” It means doing what you said you will do. It means following up (see Tip #5).

Tip #2: Dress Appropriately

1. For the Men

a) Wear a suit or at the very least a shirt and tie - Trust me, this can become a pain but at the end of the day, I tried to tell myself that I am representing my Inter/National organization and this is my one chance to make an impression. Also, your meeting should last no longer than an hour, I think you can manage.

b) Don’t look like you got out of bed – Do your hair, brush your teeth, and shave unless you got that cool five o’clock shadow going on.

c) Make sure your clothes fit/match – Tuck in your shirt. Wear black socks with black pants. Get your suit tailored. Know how to tie a tie (Men’s Warehouse will show you how).

2. For the Ladies

a) Keep your clothes on – I don’t need to see more cleavage from you than I would at the beach. Also, your skirt shouldn’t show your butt or anything else when you sit down. Do you want to be known as the trashy consultant?

b) Easy on the makeup/perfume – Greek Advisors don’t want to have a headache from your scent. Most of us have small offices.

c) Keep it classy – Most of you do a good job with what you wear (i.e. suit) but let’s not get overboard with the colors and accessories.

Tip #3: Be Able to Hold a Conversation

I am going to generalize but most of us Greek Advisors want to get to know you. It’s refreshing to see a new face and hear your traveling stories. So, when we ask about your life, your travels, where you are from, etc, don’t make it awkward. We will get to talking about your chapter.

Furthermore, don’t read from a script. We know you want grade reports, recruitment statistics, etc. Don’t……..talk…….like……this….or….say….umm,…well….umm….yeah. Try to think of engaging questions to ask. Ask about the campus culture. Ask about recent issues that have occurred on campus. Ask about OUR lives. Ask about how your respective organization is perceived on campus. Ask, “Can I take you to get a smoothie, coffee?” Ask, “how can my organization be better on this campus?”

Simply put…be yourself, be an adult and be human. We appreciate what you do…I promise!

Tip #4: Come With a Purpose

Nothing frustrates Greek Advisors more than consultants who don’t have any purpose. One of our questions to you will be, “What is the purpose of your visit?” Is it to check-in with the chapter? Is it because of disciplinary issues? Is it to help with recruitment? Is it because you were in the area?

Regardless, make use of our time. I had one consultant come into my office from an organization that I will not name (but is located in Indianapolis) who looked to have the day off. He was with a few of my students and introduced himself. He said he was working with a nearby chapter but he didn’t really like them so he decided he would bypass his meetings until later at night (insert red flag here).

After talking with him a bit, he confessed that he didn’t really like the job nor did he like his Executive Director. I asked, “Well, why do you keep doing it? Why not quit.” I can’t remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of, “I don’t know what else to do and I can tolerate it.” All I could say was “wow” and not in a good way. Needless to say, this consultant did not come with nor have a purpose. I did not like this consultant. Don’t be this consultant.

Remember that you were hired for a reason. You have a purpose and you have talents (I hope) so make sure you are utilizing the gifts you were given and make some change in the 1, 3, 5, 30 day visit you may have.

Tip #5: Follow-up (Panhellenic organizations….PLEASE READ)

You have just finished your visit. Meeting with undergrads…check. Meeting with alums…check. Meeting with Greek Advisor…check. Went to some cool local places…double check. Had a great time…check. Follow up with Inter/National HQ…somewhat check. Follow-up with Greek Advisor in a week…NOT CHECKED.

I’m going to pick on the women’s organizations for a bit. Plain and simple, Panhellenic organizations are Terrible with follow-up (yes, a capital T). I’ll admit I haven’t worked with all 26 NPC organizations but I think I’ve worked with over 80% of the member groups. Those that I have worked with, I think I received a follow-up report from two organizations. TWO! (I like to give praise so nice work Tri-Delta and Gamma Phi Beta). Men, don’t think you are all-stars. There are a good number of you who fail to follow-up but you do a better job than the women.

Why do we want you to follow-up? It’s twofold. First, it allows us to see (by email or by actual written report) what you actually did on your visit. Secondly, it helps stimulate conversation and hold the chapter members accountable when you leave. The information you provide is invaluable to us because you are able to get a more in-depth look into the chapter that we may not be able to. Another reason is that it helps build the communication between your Inter/National organization and the Greek Advisor.

So, future consultants can you please follow-up with the Greek Advisor??? I mean, how hard is it? Most Inter/National organizations make you write a report anyways on your visit so just “CC” the Greek Advisor. Seems like a simple solution to me.


In conclusion, I hope you have an amazing experience traveling for your respective organization. I truly think it will change your life in some fashion and you will always remember your traveling days. In some ways, it’s a special “secret society” that only a select few are able to do so cherish your time. Finally, remember that we as Greek Advisors are here to help you. Read over the tips I provided and do what you were hired to do. Make a difference. Make positive change and make each chapter you work with better in some way.

Tips that Didn’t Make the Top 5:

1. Don’t sleep with the undergrads – We will find out. Trust me.

2. Don’t get drunk or party with the undergrads – What message does that send?

3. Don’t talk bad about any local chapter because you didn’t like them at your undergrad (i.e Are the Skulls douchebags here like they were at my undergrad?)

4. Use appropriate language (i.e. Don’t say “frat”, “house”, etc)

Don’t assume that because you are on campus and you didn’t schedule a meeting that we are going to stop our lives to meet with you at your beck and call. Nice Greek Advisors may meet with you but most won’t…and shouldn’t.

1 comment:

  1. I was a consultant a few years ago. I was okay, could have been better, certainly not the worse though. This is good advice.

    ReplyDelete