Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Undercover Neophyte

I have recently taken a liking to the show Undercover Boss on CBS on Sunday nights. The show’s premise is that a prominent figurehead of a company (typically a CEO or Director) goes undercover to see their company through the eyes of the front line workers. As you might guess, the CEO typically discovers positive aspects of their company as well as areas of improvement. What you don’t expect in the show is the emotional attachment and humbling feeling each episode brings out. Typically, the CEO would develop a relationship with the front line workers and be reminded that the company runs because of these individuals.

As I’ve watched the past two episodes, it made me wonder what if an Executive Director or F/S advisor went “undercover” during the intake process. What would they see? How would they be recruited? Would they proud? Would they be disappointed?

Moreover, would they develop an awareness and emotional attachment that they would have never seen had they not tried to go undercover? What I mean is that I think at times we get caught up in our day-to-day work and forget to bring ourselves to the level of the student. Some are paying their way through school. Some are raising children. For some, this is the first time in college. Others are fighting tooth and nail to save their chapter and behind our desks, we may not see this.

So as we move forward this year, let’s remember to take a moment and be reminded of the “front line” Greek students that are working to keep the fraternal movement going. Let’s take a moment to say “thank you.” Let’s take a moment and be reminded that without our students, we would not be where we are today.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting thought experiment for two reasons. There's the perspective of the ED, who gets to see first-hand what goes on "in the trenches." It won't always be pretty, but I know they'd also see a lot to be proud of. And I suspect there would be a drastic shift in perspective, as the ED will be able to see the human side of the organization, after having been on the business side.

    On the other hand, (and I haven't seen Undercover Boss so I don't know the way the show usually goes) I wonder how having an exec hang out with the chapter would change a chapter's perspective. Instead of being the bureaucracy with which they exchange documents, HQ might be seen as something a little more human...alumni helping spread the fraternal good word.

    Fun to think about, no?

    ReplyDelete