
Rather than write about how depressing the current situation presents, I’d rather look at the opportunity such a situation provides. Specifically, I want to look at the last two issues I mentioned above: the increased workload and the lack of professional development. In my eyes, we have a better ability to control those two issues easier than we do with the first two issues. My hopes are that in this blog entry, I can provide simple solutions pertaining to a heavier workload and a lack of professional growth that will ease the struggles we are all facing as professionals.
The first is addressing the issue of an increased workload in our day to day responsibilities. When we were hired for our positions, there was the “other duties as assigned” bullet under our job responsibilities at the bottom of the job description that we all agreed to fulfill. Yet, I think we can all agree that we never imagined it would be to the extent we are fulfilling that one little bullet now! Instead of 50 hours, some of us are working 60 hours. Instead of sitting on one committee, some of us are sitting on four, five, or eight. Only working with first year students? Why don’t you add on campus activities board, Homecoming, Greek Life, and transfer students.
This is the reality many of us face but how can we overcome it? To begin, we need to be “all in” or “all out.” What I mean by that is if you are not willing to commit to your added responsibilities, you need to get out while you can. That’s a big gulp to swallow but that’s the reality we need to face. If you are going to take on the added responsibilities, you can’t do it with such distain and resentment that it negatively affects your work, your constituents, and all the other individuals around you. I’d venture to say that the people you complain to have gone through a similar experience and they don’t want to hear it. If you are going to be “all in,” then do it with a sense of grace and professionalism. It is perfectly okay to complain but do it in a manner that it doesn’t bring everyone else down. Find your “person” that will listen and help you through the difficult times. We all need someone but if the added responsibilities are too much to bear, maybe it is in your best interest to find a new working environment. There is no reason for you to stay miserable and go home after work feeling overly stressed and angry.
The other advice in helping cope with the issue of increased workload is to not “yell louder” but to “sound different.” Let me explain. Often times when something happens unexpectedly like your job responsibilities increasing with little explanation most of us get angry and/or pissed off. We will want to vent and cause a commotion. Rather than cause a ruckus, seek out someone high up on hierarchy chart and explain your vantage point. It’s important to understand that this isn’t a bitch session, but an opportunity to voice the direction of the department/unit/area you work in.
I think at times, higher administrators forget about the “front line” workers (us) and don’t realize the impact it has on our daily lives. Furthermore, it doesn’t help that when the opportunity to provide feedback is offered, many higher education professionals decide to state what they think the higher administrator wants to hear rather than provide honest constructive criticism. So, when you are provided that opportunity to offer feedback, don’t yell but state your feedback in a professional manner. Sound different. Heck, given your negotiation skills and your ability to sell yourself, this could be your opportunity to get an extra vacation day, an increase in pay, or a reduction in those “other assigned duties.”
Moving on, I want to address the frustration of not being provided professional development opportunities. Whether that means you weren’t able to go to a national conference or your institution has neglected your professional growth, it’s time to seek out new ways to get professionally developed.
Two suggestions I have to help are simple in nature, but require you to be self-motivated. The first idea that I’ve personally had a great deal of success is seeking out opportunities online. I’m a fan of Twitter and I have been able to tap into amazing resources and business discussions through various #hashtag discussions. Want to learn more about social media? Follow some of the experts in that field. Interested in marketing ideas? Follow some of the best marketing experts in the world. Twitter is a GLOBAL phenomenon and you’d be amazed at the tips you can pick up from business men in Asia to mobile technology trends from women in Europe. Need leadership ideas? You can find various leadership blogs, webinars, and presentations online for FREE. One website that continues to elevate my thinking is www.ted.com. TED’s website provides the best speakers in the world an opportunity to provide their insight on a range of topics all at your disposal…for free! The opportunity is there to increase your professional development but you have to be willing to make the effort.
The second idea I have pertains to your institution neglecting your professional growth. If you aren’t getting the development you desire or expected, create it for your institution. Yes, create it. Make it happen. I’d like to think if you have the time and you have a supportive environment, what boss is going to say no to you taking the initiative to enhance your institution’s professional landscape! What does creating professional development look like at the institutional level? Maybe it’s a full day of workshops. Maybe it’s a once a month “hot topics” break-off session after the department wide meeting. Maybe it’s a webinar. Maybe it’s a weekend conference for all higher ed. Professionals within a 10 mile radius. Regardless of what it may look like, make it happen. How awesome is it to be able to speak on this experience during a future interview. “Yes, I did create professional development opportunity for 200 mid to senior level professionals.” The cost of providing such an opportunity? I think it’s as little or as much as you want. Yet, at the most basic form I think you can get away with just copying costs or light refreshments. So, if professional development is what you desire, take the bull by the horns and make it happen. I also think doing something like this would increase campus relations, help recognize the talent you have at your institution, and show that professional development is a priority at your workplace.
In conclusion, we are all dealing with the hardships of the economy and increased workload and a lack of professional development may be a reality we are facing at this time. Rather than letting the economy bring us down, do something about it and work to overcome those adversities in a positive light. We are all talented professionals and I hope the suggestions I provided are a stepping stone to helping you overcome the adversities you may currently face. Good luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment