Sunday, November 20, 2011

Occupy Fraternal Values Movement

I’ve been intrigued with the Occupy Wall Street movement over these past couple of months. To be honest, when I first heard about the movement, I thought it was going to last a day. I didn’t think it would grow into a worldwide movement. For those of you unfamiliar, here is a quick snapshot the movement provided by Wikipedia…

“Occupy Wall Street (OWS) is an ongoing series of demonstrations beginning September 17, 2011, in New York City's Zuccotti Park in the Wall Street financial district. The Canadian activist group Adbusters initiated the protests which have since become a worldwide movement. The protests have focused on social and economic inequality, high unemployment, greed, as well as corruption, and the undue influence of corporations—particularly that of the financial services sector—on government. The protesters' slogan We are the 99% refers to the growing difference in wealth in the U.S. between the wealthiest 1% and the rest of the population.”

I find an interesting parallel to OWS with fraternities and sororities. Specifically, student leaders and administrators can both agree that in each chapter, there tends to be 10% (or insert your preferred percentage) of the people doing all the work. Across the nation at various district, regional, and national conferences we discuss this issue. Time and time again we as professionals provide the arena for conversation, honest dialogue, and encouragement to student leaders only to see them get frustrated time and time again by the 40-70% who do very little and the 10% who do nothing.

This got me thinking a crazy thought. What if the student leaders who were passionate about the fraternity and sorority movement protested fraternal values? An Occupy Fraternal Values Movement. Upset with members who continue to destroy your organization’s image? Protest outside their door. Upset with your inter/National office dues or structure? Protest at the National office. Are you continually frustrated with your Universities policies or views of fraternity and sorority life? DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

Now, I don’t mean start a riot or break down doors. I mean, bring your issues and concerns to the table and help create a viable solution. STAND for something. As the old saying goes, if you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything. If you hear someone talking bad about your chapter or the Greek community, STAND up to them. If your local school paper writes negative press about Greek Life, respond in a way that showcases your true values. If faculty is refusing to acknowledge the difference fraternity men and sorority women can make, SHOW them. Invite them to events. Actions speak louder than words my friends.

I have long been an advocate for a “Day Without a Greek” day. Set a date as a Greek community and show what your institution would be like without Greeks for a day. I don’t mean skip classes. I mean, have a silent movement from your typical leadership roles. Maybe you all wear black that day and hand out little flyers about the Greek difference you and the Greek community make at your institution. So, if you are an RA, that day you still perform your duties but you do it in silence. Another idea is if able, maybe you take the day off in your leadership position. I want to make clear that this isn’t a day off; it is a day on.

This is just one idea but I know I’d love to see an Occupy Fraternal Values Movement lead by the students. I’m looking at you student leader. I’m looking at you UIFI grad. I’m looking at you juniors and seniors. I’m looking at you multicultural Greeks. I’m looking at you NPHC members. I’m looking at all of you. Will you stand for something? Will you make a movement about fraternal values? Ball is in your court...

No comments:

Post a Comment