Monday, July 5, 2010

How Will We Celebrate the Birth of the American College Fraternity?

This past weekend, many of us celebrated an extended weekend full of family, fireworks, parades, hot dogs and declaring our freedom. I was no exception as I enjoyed the many fireworks Orlando had to offer and gave my thanks to those that continue to sacrifice themselves to ensure we are free.

While reflecting on July 4th, 1776, I couldn’t help but think about the year in which the American Fraternity began. Due to old age, I couldn’t remember when the beginning of what we now call fraternity was but 1786 kept coming to my head. Come to find out, the year was in 1776. December 5th to be exact. On that day, five students at the College of William & Mary founded Phi Beta Kappa, the first organization to call itself a fraternity.

How amazing is that?!? The same year that our country declared its Independence was the same year the concept of what is now called fraternity started.

So you may be asking yourself, “so what.” Well, take a moment and read over a few little nuggets/ironic coincidences I’d like to share…

1. According to Wikipedia, “The founders of Phi Beta Kappa declared that the society was formed for congeniality and to promote good fellowship, with "friendship as its basis and benevolence and literature as its pillars.” I believe that even today, of all values fraternal organizations, friendship remains the chief pillar.

2. Isn’t it a coincidence that even after 233 years of existence (234 on Dec. 5th), Phi Beta Kappa still exists and an invitation to membership into Phi Beta Kappa is a reflection of outstanding achievement. I feel this is a coincidence because isn’t this what we still look for in potential new members…outstanding achievement or a desire to be an outstanding member of our organizations?

3. Isn’t it neat that Phi Beta Kappa is Greek initials of the motto “Love of learning is the guide of life.” Aren’t we always learning what fraternity means and how fraternity/sorority helps to guide our life?

4. Isn’t it a coincidence that this year’s AFA Annual Meeting falls over December 5th. Considered the premiere conference for professionals who help to oversee fraternities and sororities in some capacity, I find it pretty cool that the last day of the Annual Meeting falls on the date in which Phi Beta Kappa began. As if it were a way to remember and reflect on the very beginning of the profession we have grown to love when we leave the Annual Meeting.

I’m sure those that read this blog will be able to come up with other coincidences and I’d invite you to share them. By doing so, it provides a head start to celebrating our beginning. Which brings me to two questions I’d like you to consider - How should AFA celebrate Phi Beta Kappa’s beginning on December 5th, if at all? How will you celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment