


I had never seen a mobile donation and I thought, “This is how I can help.” I immediately sent a text and donated $10 to a cause I believed in. For the rest of the night, I felt good and I no longer felt helpless.
Fast forward to today, and I can’t help but think about how the text to give campaign was such a brilliant idea. You didn’t have to go to a store or a website to donate; you simply had to have your phone nearby. In this day and age, who doesn’t have their phone near them at all times. I then began to think, what if a fraternity or sorority did a text to give campaign? What if AFA did one? SEPC? AFLV? Respective organizations’ foundations?
Using basic math, image that an organization has 1,000 members and on their respective Founder’s Day, they decide to do a text to give campaign. The organization asks for a $10 donation and if all goes well, $10,000 is raised for an endowment, philanthropy, or for another worthy cause. To my knowledge, no fraternal organization has tried this.
If you are thinking a text campaign may not work, consider that as a result of the Hope for Haiti Now campaign, it was projected that $10 million dollars were raised via text in 24 hours. Not sure where to start? Go to www.mgive.com and they will do all the work for you. In three weeks, mGive processed over $37 million dollars for Haiti. Finally, why not give it a try? I firmly believe that students and alumni of our organizations would donate to a cause if provided the opportunity.
To my knowledge, this has never been done. This is an opportunity. I look forward to reading an article about an organization that takes a chance and raises thousands of dollars via text. To further support the cause, I will donate $10 to the first organization that does a text to give campaign. Not to prove a point, but because I believe in the fraternal movement.
I think this is a great concept, and could definitely be utilized by chapters and national organizations alike. I especially like the Founders Day fundraiser idea, I'd love for my fraternity to do it!
ReplyDeleteMore so, I think something like this would be revolutionary for major campus philanthropic events (Dance Marathons, Up Till Dawn, etc.)
Looking at the website you gave, it looks like it takes at least $800 to set up the campaign. Unfortunately, that may price many organizations and events out of the service. I wonder if there is a cheaper alternative?