
Today is the nine year anniversary of the World Trade Center terrorist attacks. I, much like those of you who may read this probably remember exactly what you were doing that day. I remember that day in which I woke up to go to class and my roommate hollering, "hey man, something happened in New York. Check out the TV."
At the time, the incident had just been reported and broadcasted on TV so details were still fuzzy. I, being a naive sophomore was more concerned with catching the bus to get to class so I didn't check the TV. Little did I know that the world had stopped not only in New York, but also in little Allendale, Michigan, home of Grand Valley State as well.
I arrived on campus to a somber and quiet environment. Everyone was near a TV and no one was talking. Some students were on their phones while others watched the replays over and over of the planes crashing into the towers. I joined the TV watchers and couldn't help but take my eyes off of the TV. To be honest, I'm not sure I went to class. I was so shocked, upset, and dumbfounded at the fact that this had happened. As more and more details emerged, and more footage was released, I continued to watch the TV. As I'm sure you all felt to some extent, I felt helpless and sad. Nine years later, I still wonder if we could have prevented the attack.
As I continue to write this entry, I want to make it a point to say my thank you to all the brave souls that risked their lives on that day. Scratch that, for all the brave souls that risk their lives that day and every day.
I'm very proud to say that I have a fraternity little brother that has been in the Army, stationed in Iraq and Afghanistan for it seems like forever and he does what he does so we can sleep better at night. I know he would shrug it off if I told him but I'm truly proud of him. I'm proud of all the Greek members who have and are currently serving our country.
I don't know how many institutions or Greek communities celebrate or honor our Greek members who serve our country, but I think its a tradition that should be started. I am proud to say that my undergraduate institution has a specific section on their website entitled "GVSU Greeks in the Military" and it provides a snapshot of those who are in the military that were part of the GVSU Greek community. Friends, lets applaud their efforts and make this a nationwide thing.
In closing, as the title suggests, let us always remember those that have served, those that we have lost, and let us appreciate those that continue to serve and let us appreciate our freedom. I'd also encourage you to watch the movie "United 93." It is such a powerful and amazing example of bravery and doing something greater than yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment