Sunday, August 29, 2010

Greeks March to the Same Beat

For most institutions, the school year has started and that means two things: summer is over and college football is about to begin. Both are inevitable each Fall and with college football beginning this Thursday, Sept. 2nd, that means band practice is in session. If you have been on campus early in the mornings or late at night I’d imagine you have heard the marching band practicing or at least seem them marching around on the practice field.

As a previous marching band member in college, I love hearing the impressive sounds of the brass, the faint sounds of the woodwinds, and the beat of the drum line. I appreciate their skill set and I can’t imagine a college football game without the marching band being present. Can you?

Recently, I watched a video (below starting at 2:10 mark) of the Michigan State drum line practice (nerdy I know) and as I watched, I couldn’t help but notice how every movement the line made was in perfect synchronization. Their hand speed, their wrist movement, and the height of the drum stick as they played were all the same.

This made me think about our Greek organizations in the Fall semester. Specifically, how do you ensure everyone is marching to the same beat? Maybe a better question is, do you see the importance of making sure everyone is on the same beat as the school year begins?

Think for a moment that most chapter members have had three months away from school. Many have been working, traveling, and probably haven’t thought very much about the chapter. So, should it be a surprise if they come back to school and don’t know everything that is going on for the chapter? How do you get them on the same beat if they haven’t been to a leadership conference, UIFI or an Executive Board retreat?

Furthermore, as many institutions go through recruitment around this time, how do you convey to your new members what the mission and vision is for your organization? How do you get them to be on the same beat as well?

I think often times we struggle with this notion of getting people on the same beat. Too often I see students make assumptions that new members or even older members should know the beat of the organization and just jump right in. However, much like a marching band drum line practice, it takes hours of working together, listening to the metronome, and setting aside private time for those that may not pick up the beat as quickly to get everyone on the same beat.

Strong fraternal organizations recognize this need for practice and ensuring everyone is on the same beat. They make sure to have an all chapter retreat at the beginning of the semester. They make sure at the first chapter meeting expectations and goals are outlined for the semester. They take the time to work with those members who may be a little “offbeat” and help them get back on track. They treat new members with respect and not as a new member, but as another chapter member. Strong chapters talk Ritual because they know in order to have a strong, vibrant beat; Ritual is where the beat starts.

So as you move forward in the Fall semester, take some time to get the feel of the beat of your chapter. Are you all in rhythm? In synchronization? If not, what sacrifices will you make to ensure that the chapter’s beat does get back to being one beat, not 40 different beats?

Hopefully, you will have a strong beat and have a successful Fall. If you are having trouble getting everyone on the same beat, ask for help. That’s what your chapter advisors, local volunteers, inter/national headquarters staff, and fraternity/sorority life advisor(s) are for. Good luck!











No comments:

Post a Comment